The new BMW R 18 Transcontinental and R 18 B: “The Big Boxer” as the Grand American Tourer for luxurious travelling and as Bagger for cool American highway cruising.
With the new R 18 Transcontinental, BMW Motorrad is adding a Grand American Tourer to the R 18 family as well as the R 18 B “Bagger”, which is particularly popular in the USA. As with the previous R 18 models, the new R 18 Transcontinental and R 18 B combine the thrilling power of the “Big Boxer” with a classic chassis concept based on historical models, exclusive equipment and a stylish design.
This makes the R 18 Transcontinental ideal for travelling and long-distance rides in American riding style – both for riding solo and with a pillion and luggage. The R 18 B, on the other hand, is designed as a “rider’s machine” delivering emotional driving pleasure and ideal for cool touring and cruising.
Special features of the new R 18 Transcontinental include:
Front fairing with high wind shield, wind deflector and flaps. Cockpit with four analogue round instruments and 10.25 inch TFT colour display, additional headlamp, Marshall sound system, engine protection bars, cases, top case, seat heating, chrome trim and an engine in Silver metallic.
In contrast, the new R 18 B does without a top case and, in the style of a “bagger”, offers a low windshield, a slimmer seat and a matt black metallic engine among other things.
The new R 18 Transcontinental and R 18 B highlights:
- Handlebar-mounted fairing for excellent wind and weather protection.
- High wind shield (R 18 Transcontinental).
- Low wind shield (R 18 B).
- Cases in body colour paint finish (27 litres, with audio 26.5 litres).
- Vibration-decoupled top case in body colour paint finish
(48 litres, with audio 47 litres, R 18 Transcontinental only).
- Wind deflectors in body colour finish (R 18 Transcontinental only).
- 24 litre fuel tank.
- Cockpit with four analogue round instruments and 10.25 inch TFT colour display.
- Biggest ever BMW boxer engine with a capacity of 1 802 cc.
- Output 67 kW (91 hp) at 4 750 rpm, maximum torque 158 Nm at 3 000 rpm.
- More than 150 Nm available at all times from 2 000 to 4 000 rpm
- Open-running, gloss nickel-plated universal-shaft drive based on
the classic role model.
- Elaborately manufactured double-loop tube steel frame with backbone of sheet metal formed parts provide the optimal package.
- Rear swinging arm with enclosed axle drive in rigid-frame design.
- Telescopic fork with fork sleeves and cantilever spring strut with travel-dependent damping as well as automatic load compensation ensure optimum riding under all conditions.
- Comfortable ergonomics for relaxed cruising and touring with the best possible motorcycle control.
- Disc brakes at the front and rear and cast light alloy wheels.
- BMW Motorrad Full Integral ABS.
- Dynamic Cruise Control (DCC) as standard.
- Active Cruise Control (ACC) – cruise control with integrated distance control for relaxed touring as an ex works option.
- State-of-the-art LED lighting technology, classically interpreted.
- Adaptive turning light with swivel module for even better illumination of the road when cornering as an ex works option.
- Engine guard (R18 Transcontinental only)
- Seat heating as standard (R 18 Transcontinental only).
- Heated grips as standard.
- Continuously adjustable rocker switch (in connection with running boards;
standard for R 18 Transcontinental).
- Keyless Ride for convenient activation of functions.
- Three riding modes as well as ASC and MSR as standard.
- Reverse assist for convenient manoeuvring and Hill Start Control for easy hill starts as ex works option.
- Three attractive colours: In addition to black and the 719 Galaxy Dust metallic option, the new R 18 B and R 18 Trancontinental are also available in
Manhattan metallic matt.
- The R 18 Transcontinental “First Edition” and R 18 B “First Edition”: Exclusive look in paint and chrome.
- Extensive range of optional extras and Original BMW Motorrad Accessories as well as a cool Ride & Style Collection.
- “Option 719” equipment available as particularly high-quality and exclusive optional equipment and Original BMW Motorrad Accessories.